Always

Vote like the lives of your children depend on your doing so!

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Englewood Farmer's Market: What happened to our Country Fare?




The empty wet hole where my grandchildren's 
beloved playground used to stand.
Recently, while photographing the Depot Square Playground, I decided to do a little shopping at our 


Englewood Farmer's Market. I was very disappointed in the prices and the participation. I found myself wondering, "where are the farmers"? There was only one Farm represented, a bakery, a soap salesman and a food truck. I attributed it to the fact that it was an overcast day. and the fact that the Park 
has a very dismal look without the Playground equipment.



I purchased 5 sweet potatoes and some fresh ginger. I could have purchased these items at Shoprite, but I wanted to give some business to the Farmers.
Those 5 sweet potatoes and piece of ginger 
cost $7.55
 As it is, these 5 potatoes and piece of ginger cost $7.55. I almost walked away without the vegetables when I heard the price, but I am forever conscious of the plight of farmers. I grew up on a farm and still grow vegetables to this day. This was a difficult season. The rain and the overabundance of the Mexican Bean Beetle, plus the Deer grinded our Community to a near standstill. Needless to say, I was not happy at the cost, even under these circumstances.  I left the area wondering how much each vendor was required "to pay for the privilege to set up shop" in the park.


There is also something else the folks who make the decisions did not take into consideration. The playground was a bonus attraction to persons visiting the Farmer's Market. The large number of vendors filled the small Park and gave the visitors a feeling of a Country Fair. My grandchildren loved it. They played in the playground while I shopped and took photos.  The present appearance of the Park is not a good companion to a poorly purposed Farmer's Market.
Alstedes seems to be the only farm participating.





Compare to 2012































Was it the weather, the cost of the space rental, the planning or the dismal appearance of the site?

That hefty $7.55 for such a small amount of produce
may be a factor for some, I'm just saying.

1 comment:

Grannie Annie said...

Yes, the prices at farmers markets are high, too high a lot of the time. But what's even worse is the other farm that used to participate in Englewood's market, whose prices were a little lower and whose produce was a whole lot better, quit Englewood. I hear they're part of Fort Lee's farmers market now. Did anyone from our Chamber of Commerce ask the farmers who left why they decided to leave? How sad that Englewood no longer has a vibrant, booming farmers market. Guess I'll try Teaneck's next year.