Always

Vote like the lives of your children depend on your doing so!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Part 2: Is This The Result of the Threat of Being Nasty?


A City lot belongs to the people.
Tuesday April 23 at the City Council Meeting I asked some questions that seemed to anger Tim Dacey, the Englewood City Manager. I have been to City Council  meetings and watched other people complain and ask questions and they are not treated the way Mr. Dacey treated me. It seems that questions and requests from some 4th Ward Residents are treated like attacks on one's manhood. 
Who would give the order to do this?
  • I spoke up for the Trolley and contradicted the 2nd Ward Councilman and others who claim that no one rides it. I guess it makes them feel better about killing it if they convince themselves that it is never used. The Trolley is not in the budget for next year. It has about 1 month left. It seems that there is a promise that was made in order to get the Trolley and no one is holding the folks who made these promises  accountable.

  • Where was the topsoil taken? The Caretakers put hard
    work and money into building up the top soil that
    was removed.  Note the width of the tracks on this
    monster machine
    I also asked if the gentlemen who have been the caretakers of the Genesee Garden would be able to continue to grow their vegetables. I reminded them that the City had it bulldozed in the fall. Mr.Skurnick, the 3rd Ward Councilman commented that he liked seeing the garden as he takes that route quite often. His remarks about the missing topsoil were interesting since relatively little had been removed at that time. He was of the opinion that the garden was no longer usable. I explained that the topsoil had been pushed to the side and that it could be pulled back into the garden and deep tilling would make it workable again with the addition of organic matter. 
Tim Dacey asked if this plot was one on the list to be sold. Very interesting question. The size of the lot is probably what has saved it all these many years. The City Council unanimously agreed that the garden should be continued. Again. The City Council gave the garden the go ahead nod of approval. All of them including Lynn Algrant who was substituting for Mayor Huttle III.


This is some sever packing action right here.
After adjournment, Theresa Thomas, the female 4th Ward, District 2 Committee person put her head together with Ken Albert, the City Manager. As I was leaving the council chambers Tim Dacey, the City Manager stopped me. He seemed very upset. He told me that I make a big deal of everything and that the Herring Field lights were on a timer and it would be a simple thing to reset them. He said that I should just email him with my concerns. I guess those were his orders instead of writing a blog post about the problem.  


I was right behind the nastiness with my camera. 
I did send him an email, but he claims I didn't. I guess he just didn't like the fact that I had very little to say to him. I included a link to the blog post. He told me that he could get nasty and he would show me how he could get nasty if that was what I wanted. I don't know where he got the impression that I wished to see him get nasty. I was very clear when addressing the City Council in what I wanted. 
Equal treatment of 4th Ward Residents and the land within.

I am also fully aware of the capacity of white men to get nasty. The request was not made to benefit myself. I have more than enough property to grow my own garden at home safe from his bulldozer. That was on Tuesday.

On Thursday, April 25, 2013, I learned first hand about Tim Dacey's nastiness. The photos  here document the depth to which a person will go to assert his will over another over an entire community. He does not live here. His lack of respect for the culture of the people and the heritage of this town is the only thing that could have prompted the havoc wreaked upon this Century Old Garden. He took out his anger on the entire 4th Ward after the City Council had given permission. Did he forget that he works for the City Council. It is my understanding that a vote could relieve him of duties with a cursory notice. We should note here that the garden has been there and passed down from caretaker to caretaker over 100 years. 

This time the bulldozer took away more than a foot of topsoil and pushed soil up into the hedges. 

The good news is that Deacon Gainey does want to continue working the garden. Several community members have volunteered to help get the garden back together before planting time slips away from us. We have spoken to Committee person Rickie Taylor and we seem to be on the same page. We are also from the same general small town area in North Carolina. We found common ground. We have not found common ground with Theresa Thomas, the female Committee person, because she does not come out of her house to deal with us. Mr. Taylor admitted and claimed his part in the original fall bulldozing. He does not claim this recent demolition, nor does he condone the removal of the topsoil. Mr. Taylor, like us, is very concerned about the appearance of our neighborhood. Perhaps Ms. Thomas will come around one day also.

Even though the Community has stepped up to help it does not negate the fact that someone should have to answer for this destruction. Who gave the order? What happened to the topsoil? Was it sold? Was it taken for use in another yard or ward? They should bring the top soil back since the gardeners have been working for years to create the rich loom that was stolen.

More Photos. You must be logged in to Facebook in order to see these photos.

A How To Community Garden Guide

No comments: